June 7, 2010

FEAR


I'm not exactly certain where I'm going with this one but it's been on my mind a lot lately for some reason. FEAR. "False Evidence Appearing Real", a term a close family member once told me he thinks the word stands for. For a long time I wasn't sure what he meant because life can be so harsh, so REAL, that fear is something hard for us to let go of.


It can be done. One of the keys in doing so I believe is dropping our walls of pride, ego, and self-doubt about ourselves and others. Think about it. Where ever you go, especially in unfamiliar surroundings with unfamiliar faces, what is it that you do? How do you act? Guarded, right? Unsure. Why? Have you ever stopped to think that EVERYONE else is doing the same thing? Think about some of my earlier posts, the ones about "group dynamics", going into public places such as an elevator, or a grocery store. Everyone goes around as if they're SCARED of one another but the second some one appears outgoing, sincere, and real, what happens? You feel more comfortable, right? Think of a child, put a child's manner and innocence in your mind's eye. How do they act? No pretense, no FEAR, just pure, raw emotion. REAL.


So, what happened to us as adults? I think its a function of many things; feeling we have to act "responsibly" as parents, as employees, the news media and the constant bombardment of negative news. Floods, earthquakes, war, the BP oil spill, the economic collapse, the DESPAIR people feel with the world these days. You know what I say? Don't listen to it! Think and act like a child, not in an immature sense mind you, but take risks, be more out-going, show no FEAR of new things, new ways, new thinking. Getting "outside the lines" with "outside the box" thinking is how I try to focus myself in this new way I've discovered the past couple of years.


It's hard though. Every day is a struggle to overcome those self-doubts, the negative news, the FEAR that seems so prevalent in our world any more. But if everyone would try harder to act, live, feel, and think positively in every aspect of their daily lives and with those around them, think of the possibilities! The mind is a wondrous thing. It starts with me. With you. And then another and another. Before long, the group dynamic will change and our world will begin changing to something more positive, more hopeful, with less FEAR among us. We can do it. We just have to BELIEVE.


"Gusto"

No comments: