May 1, 2010

Rick Warren

Today was one of those days where you just sense its not gonna be good. I hear from both family and "friends" many times that I come off "too heavy", need to lighten up, etc. Emotions are something I don't bottle up like some people do. When I see wrong, either someone being hurt or being on the receiving end, I call it like I see it. The world these days is a complicated place. Economic woes, personal issues, you name it. There's a lot of "gray" that we tend to get sucked into and many times I notice this brings out the selfish side in us as human beings. This is dangerous in my opinion. What I'm TRYING to say is we will sometimes come across situations that are simply black and white and when we do, it would behoove us all to recognize it, speak up for TRUTH, and not "sweep it under the rug", just because we don't want any more "drama" in our lives. Forgive me for saying so, but that's horseshit. Life ain't all sunshine and rainbows all the time.

An example of a family dispute today puts it in perspective about what I mean when it comes to selfishness. Reminds me of the value of humility, balance, letting go of our pride and don't let anger and resentments block our minds from unselfish thinking and actions.....Because being unselfish doesn't mean you "think less of yourself", it just means "thinking of yourself less."

A thought from Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Church somewhat along those lines........

"I used to think that life was hills and valleys --- you go through a dark time, then you go to the mountaintop, back and forth. I don't believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life. No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on. And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can be thankful for. You can focus on your answers, or you can focus on your problems. If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain."

But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto others. We need to ask ourselves; Am I going to live for possessions? Popularity? Am I going to be driven by pressures? Guilt? Bitterness? Materialism? Or am I going to be driven by what my life's purpose is? What I can BE for others and not just DO?"

My thoughts on what Rick says:

When things are going really well in your life and you think you have the world at your fingertips,it's best to remember that there's something more than likely coming up the other side of the track that will upset you. So, if you stay humble when things are going well, it makes it easier to deal with the problems that will inevitably arise when they aren't.

"Gusto"



No comments: